A Smart Solution for Today’s Connected Consumer: U by Moen™ Smart Shower
FIRST-TO-MARKET U by MOEN™ SMART SHOWER OFFERS APP-BASED, VOICE-ACTIVATED TECHNOLOGY FOR A BETTER EXPERIENCE WITH WATER
Oakville, Ontario… Moen, the leader in smart water technology, has brought connected water to the bathroom with its first-to-market U by Moen™ Smart Shower, a next-generation Wi-Fi/cloud-based digital shower which offers mobile connectivity and unmatched personalization, including three choices to control the shower: voice activation, smartphone app and an in-shower controller.
“At Moen, we’re committed to developing smart innovations that enhance people’s everyday experiences with water, providing new, better ways to control and interact with the water that flows through their homes,” says Mason Hall, director, marketing, digital and IoT, Moen. “Our U by Moen Smart Shower provides the best of both functionality and customization, allowing homeowners to create the shower experience that is ideally suited to them and operate it however they choose, from the sound of their voice to the smartphone app. It’s connected water for today’s connected consumer.”
Activating with Voice Commands:
To activate U by Moen Smart Shower, users can ask their voice assistant to remotely start and stop the shower with the sound of their voice. Once they have created personalized presets in the smartphone app, homeowners simply state the name of the preset within the command.
Sample commands include:
- Apple HomeKit: With HomeKit compatibility, users can control their U by Moen Smart Shower through Apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, Watch, Mac and HomePod. Through the Apple Home app or by using a simple voice command, such as “Hey Siri, turn on my shower,” or “Hey Siri, start preset ‘Post-Workout Shower,’” users can start the shower from anywhere around the house. And, U by Moen can be added to a new or existing scene to automatically start the day with other HomeKit accessories such as lights, shades and more.
- Google Assistant: Control the shower by saying commands like “Ok Google, turn on my shower to 38 degrees Celsius,” “Ok Google, start preset ‘Workout Shower,’” or “Ok Google, turn off the shower.” Users also can integrate U by Moen into Routines, to combine multiple smart home interactions. For example, the command “Ok Google, good morning,” can trigger a series of actions such as starting the shower, adjusting lighting and getting the weather forecast from the Google Assistant.
- Amazon Alexa: U by Moen is integrated as a Smart Home Skill, making the commands more intuitive. Users simply say, “Alexa, start preset ‘Morning Shower,’” or, “Alexa, turn on my shower to 39 degrees Celsius” to get the shower running. Homeowners also can make U by Moen part of smart home Groups, to control all smart products in a group at one time, or Routines, where turning on the shower is triggered along with several other simultaneous tasks. For example, when consumers say, “Alexa, start my morning routine,” starting the shower can be integrated with other actions like turning on the lights and opening the blinds.
Users will know the commands have worked as the device will reply indicating the desired activity has been completed, and the app on their smartphone and the controller in the shower will respond by lighting up, changing colour and reacting to the specific command.
How U by Moen Smart Shower Works:
The U by Moen Smart Shower includes a digital valve that offers precise, thermostatic temperature control, and enables the user to connect up to four shower devices (showerheads, handshowers, body sprays, etc.). The Wi-Fi-connected digital shower controller features a five-inch, non-touch, LCD screen that provides feedback on the shower status through on-screen messaging and notifications.
For users’ safety, the shower valve will allow temperatures between 16 and 49 degrees Celsius. As they change the water temperature, the colour of the screen will evolve from light blue, dark blue, purple, orange and red indicating the system is warming up or cooling down to reach the desired water temperature. When the shower is ready, the screen will turn white and provide an on-screen notification and signal with a tone. The controller itself has seven to nine buttons – depending on whether it's a two- or four-outlet system – enabling users to accurately control their shower experience.
The controller’s design is not only stylish, but it also provides users with the best of connected features and functionality. They can customize settings directly in the shower and save them with one of two preset buttons, with the ability to save up to 12 additional presets within the smartphone app. Homeowners can choose a Terra Beige or Matte Black controller finish.
About the App:
The U by Moen smartphone app gives users the ability to create up to 12 personalized presets, including name, greeting, outlets, temperature, shower timer and notifications. It also allows users to have the shower pause at initial start-up once it reaches the desired temperature. Not only can users create their personalized shower experience from within the app, but they also can fully control the shower from their smartphones. They can turn on the shower, change temperature and turn outlets on and off with the push of a button. The app also allows users to customize system-wide settings, such as the outlet icons, which Wi-Fi network the system is connected to, language and time zone. Security is an important aspect of any connected device, and Moen has thoughtfully designed each U by Moen shower product to have a unique encrypted key to ensure the connection is always secure. The smartphone app is available as a free download from both the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.
Coming later in 2021, the U by Moen Smart Shower will be able to be controlled through the Moen App, a whole home smart-water ecosystem that connects consumers to their water and will allow control of all of their Moen connected products in one platform – including the U by Moen Smart Shower and Smart Faucet, as well as the Flo by Moen™ Smart Water Security System.
Easy to Install:
“At Moen, we not only listen to the wants and needs of consumers, but to those individuals who will be installing our products. To make installation easier, U by Moen Smart Shower offers a 30-foot (9.1 metre) data cable between the digital valve and controller so it can be put wherever is most convenient for the plumber and homeowner,” says Hall. To give users peace of mind, the digital valve also has an optional battery backup kit available. With the battery backup kit, if the power happens to go out while someone is in the shower, the system will not shut off.
U by Moen Smart Shower features Moen’s best-in-class warranty* to ensure superior quality.
For more information about the U by Moen Smart Shower, visit moen.ca.
- Coming in 2021: Ability to be controlled within the Moen App
VOICE ASSISTANT COMPATABILITY
- Apple HomeKit™ and Siri® compatibility
- Google Home™ and Google Assistant compatibility
- Amazon Alexa Smart Home Skill available to control the shower, including smart home groups and routines
- Matte Black
- Terra Beige
- Two-Outlet Shower Controller and Valve
- Four-Outlet Shower Controller and Valve
AVAILABILITY: Wholesale plumbing showrooms and online
*For complete warranty information, visit moen.ca. Important exclusions apply. Warranty only applies to original purchaser.
Amazon, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates
Apple HomeKit, Siri and all related logos are trademarks of Apple Inc. or its affiliates
Google and Google Home are trademarks of Google LLC.